[olug] Cox blocking inbound TCP 2401?

Terry td3201 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 13:53:45 UTC 2004

--- Jay Hannah <jay at jays.net> wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2004, at 9:30 AM, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> > Dude, VPN!  It's SOOO easy to get around Cox's
> filtering when all they
> > see is IP proto 50...
>
> VPN for server-server connectivity? The only VPN
> I've played with is
> Cisco clients from WinX and Mac.
>
> What's the VPNy way to VPN back into my server at
> home when I don't
> have root on the remote (Linux) machines? I want to
> throw stuff in cron
> on the remote boxes too. Wouldn't I need root to set
> up permanent VPN
> tunnels / static routes from the remote clients?
>
> What VPN software are we talking about?
>
> I called Cox. They say their not blocking inbound to
> my IP. Yet, I move
> services around to random ports and can still never
> get in. Perhaps I'm
> doing something stupid in my Linksys?

May be irrelevant, but I would update the firmware on
the Linksys, perhaps a bug.  Have you tried putting
something else, like an ssh daemon on that port to
make sure it isn't the program?  I would force sshd to
listen on tcp/2401 and see if you can connect that
way.

As far as vpn client, if you don't have root, you are
screwed.  Cisco has a linux client but you need to be
root to load the module.

=====
Terry