[olug] Video Editing and Linux

Sean Edwards cybersean3000 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 18:09:27 UTC 2004

Some video capture devices provide compression via
firmware on the card itself.  Some cards rely just on
software.  If you have a card which uses firmware, you
can use a slower processor, at least 1Ghz.  If your
video capture relies on software, plan on at least a
2Ghz processor.

For a good idea of specs and Linux compatible
hardware, take a look at MythTV and related projects.

For editing software, Broadcast 2000 used to be the
best choice, but has been replaced by Cinelerra.

-=Sean Edwards=-