[olug] Slashdot article

Thomas D. Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Wed Mar 10 15:10:54 UTC 2004

In thinking about this, although the D&D stuff is a type of fantasy interation,
it may not create the behaviors truly needed in real social settings. One thing
that could be done is see if there is a place that needs something in the IT
area done for other people. An area of need that I have run into is helping
elderly folk in redsidental living facilities or assisted living facilities
getting their computers running correctly and setting up internet access and
e-mail accounts. Doing this in that setting puts him in contact with people who
will more often than not give affirmation for the work done and provide a place
where he will have to explain and show to them how the applications work. They
may even give kind suggestions for improving his appearance as grandparent type
figures.

Another area is helping non-profit groups do similar things. But I do not see
this allowing the same kinds of interactions as with the elderly.

Tom Williamson