[olug] Slashdot article

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Wed Mar 10 14:04:59 UTC 2004

William Langford wrote:

> Someone on /. suggested D&D... and it'd prolly be a good idea.  They
> can use their imagination for the main stay of what they're intending
> to do, and then pick up some social skills as time goes on just by the
> interaction with other people.  Things such as grooming and such would
> come naturually/over time.  It's not the final solution (how many
> times do you see ppl in D&D constantly overhyper and acting out their
> characters 'special actions' ... which would be annoying, if not at
> least unusual in a public environment)... but it's a good step in the
> right direction.

You're not serious, are you?  An uncombed kid, already living in the
"not with the rest of us" world of math/computers/science, hanging
around with a bunch of others like him in order to "build social
skills"?  As other \. posters said, it's not just the hair - that's just
the outward sign.  I knew a kid that got picked on because of bad teeth,
so he got braces.  When the braces were off, the kid still got picked
on.  Self-confidence doing real things in the real world will probably
help more.

Tim