[olug] Can't boot to 2.6 Kernel

CM Miller cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 02:38:12 UTC 2004

--- Eric Penne <epenne at olug.org> wrote:
> the modules would be located under
> /lib/modules/2.6.3
>
> This is what I do when making a kernel.
>
> make bzimage
> make modules
> make modules_install
>
> The last one copies them to the correct directory
> /lib/modules.  This can
> be done later if you mess it up.
>
> I'm not sure if this still applies to the 2.6 series
> or not.
>
> go into /usr/src/linux.2.6.3 and run make
> modules_install
>
> it may work.

Get a 2.6.3 prompt from lilo when rebooting.

Select it and only get this output

load linux 2.6.3
bios update successful

Then it goes to a blank screen, the hard drive spins
and then stops.

Reboot again and select 2.4 kernel, it goes thru
bootup stage and outputs

fsck faild
please repair manually & reboot
please note that the root file system is currently
mounted read-only.  To mount it read-write

#mount -n -o remount,rw /

or you can ctrl-d to reboot

Reboot with 2.4 and back in business.

Can I step back thru these commands again with 2.6?

make mrproper
make config or make xconfig
make dep
make clean