[olug] Can't boot to 2.6 Kernel

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Sat Mar 6 16:24:33 UTC 2004

In a previous post to the OLUG group, I noticed two things:
1: The output from lilo shows the "names" of each kernel that it finds and
installs into the boot loader.  The one that is the default is marked with
a "*" at the end.  In the output I saw, the default was still the 2.4
kernel.  Just make sure you are choosing the 2.6 kernel when the LILO boot
prompt comes up.
2: The output from a "mkinitrd" complained about a directory not being
found.  The actual command line copied to the OLUG mailing list had an
extra "#" appended to the end of the command line, and the error output
from mkinitrd complained about not finding a directory named
"/usr/src/linux2.6.3#" (note the "#" at the end).
(checking through the archives...)
Here is the output that CM Miller copied to us:
> I've done the following:
>
> root at xanadu:/boot# mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.2.6.3.gz
> /usr/src/linux.2.6.3#
> /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: /usr/src/linux.2.6.3#: Not a
> directory

Did anyone else notice those?

Dan