[olug] interview

emptymm at cox.net emptymm at cox.net
Sat Mar 6 02:25:23 UTC 2004

> From: "Holly" <holleluyah at earthlink.net>
> Date: 2004/03/03 Wed PM 05:44:15 EST
> To: "Omaha Linux User Group" <olug at olug.org>
> Subject: Re: [olug] interview
>
> Does anyone have interview tips specifically for women looking for
> real hardcore tech jobs (sys or software engineering?) I get nervous
> and come across as not confident too much, I think.

I know I'm weighing in a little late on this but definitely want to toss in my two cents.  As the former global staffing manager for Compaq/HP Telecom (enterprise software) groups and currently managing staffing for Level3's headquarters groups I feel I have to share..

<soapbox>
First let me say that as a woman you should feel some extra confidence because *you have an advantage*.  The tech industry is still predominantly male, especially in the more senior roles.  Aside from the legalities of Affirmative Action and EEOC/DOL regs, most companies of any decent size have embraced the concepts and values of diversity and as much as ethnic status plays a role in that, gender is usually the key issue.  Most technical organizations I've supported are chomping at the bit to find qualified female candidates.  Not only does this help them cover their legal bases, it helps bring some balance to the organization.  Make sure you have your resume in places that companies would go for "diversity" candidates (ie: female leadership organizations, career groups, etc).

On that note, confidence is still key for most any position.  You have to believe in your skills to get someone else to.  I know many people feel there's a "black art" to the methodologies that companies use to interview and screen candidates.  The reality is that the company has an issue they need solved and they're willing to pay someone to solve it, either because they don't currently have the expertise or the available manpower.  They each have their own belief on what qualifications are necessary for someone to be successful but you'd be amazed how many of those "requirements" can become "stuff you can learn later" if they like you..  Outside of obscure or highly specific tech roles, just being friendly and confident will most often get you further than a tech certification.

Lastly, nothing beats the power of networking.  At least half of all the "good" jobs never get advertised or already had someone lined up before the job was even posted.  Make sure that you proactively use everyone you know to be on the lookout and advertise for you.  Just having one positive point of contact in an organization can do huge bounds to bypass the normal entry gates (or an inept HR screener) and jump ahead of the potentially hundreds of other applicants.
</soapbox>

-Ken