[olug] RAS for dial-up ISP question

Charles Bird thebirdman at operamail.com
Fri Mar 5 08:45:54 UTC 2004

> You mean like these guys?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=cheap+dial+up+isp

lol...kinda I guess. However I'm not gonna make them use
software to gain access to dial-up.Most of the "free"
companys have hella pop-ups/banners. I know aol is like
putting a whole other OS within an OS(crappy one too!)
I think I've seen RAM usage up by 40MB before.
I want to provide a place for poor people to come to and
experience IT, learn if they want. I will enable them to
get a chance to get almost as far as they want in thier
knowledge. I will be using Linux of course.
We are making the charter right now, and grant proposals.
We will get between 20k and 50k.
My vision is when a customer dials in with this non-profit
org, they will be spending money on bandwidth and the
people that I'm teaching to use linux.
I will not turn anyone down, never. Well unless its a
scitzo stinky dude that just comes in to surf for porn or
causes major disruptions.
To the empoverished kids that I see I will try to give
them a machine(old AMD maybe with 256MB RAM) with modem
and Linux distro as well as give them a free dial-up acct.
until they quit participating in the org.
I agree with the large customer base thing, I think the
ratio per line is abou 1/8..I'd like to do 1/6 or better.
So i guess now that I think about it i could perhaps do
the (2) T-1 lines and meet my goals.
I'll be making an announcement when the ball really gets
rolling, I may be looking for some volunteers in the next
few months.