[olug] RAS for dial-up ISP question

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Wed Mar 3 16:31:56 UTC 2004

Nathan D. Rotschafer wrote:
> Why not just use the cisco solution at that point.  I'm just curious is
> someone knows something I don't.  All in hardware and for the price of a
> computer and serial board you would be about the same price...

*choke*

By the time you buy modems + the cable for this 2511 (the auction
doesn't list it therefore you shouldn't assume it's there - those cables
can get EXPENSIVE) your cost is already higher than a spare Pentium PC +
a $150 - $200 RocketModem card.

And at the same time you get the possibility for any damn service a
linux/bsd box can provide

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us