[olug] Closing Socket Connections

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Wed Mar 3 15:15:23 UTC 2004

Quoting Terry <td3201 at yahoo.com>:

> Are all of the established connections you are
> referring to related to Oracle?
> netstat -anp might be useful too.

Yes. I actually did a netstat -aepn. All of the connections I'm concerned about
are to the tnslistener. I have talked to the user/developer who the connections
belonged to and he says it may be a problem with his code, but he's also the one
who told me about the setting on Sun systems where one can automatically close
idle connections.

>From what I've read the SO_KEEPALIVE option will start sending probes to the
client connection after it's been idle for so long. If the client doesn't
respond in a timely manner and after the set number of probes have been sent,
then the connection is closed.

Now I need to find out where to enable this feature.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com