Getting an interview was:Re: [olug] Omaha IT job market

David DeWester nekochan at inebraska.com
Tue Mar 2 17:29:36 UTC 2004

I'll agree with everything Bill said, and I have a few things of my own to
add.

I work at UNL and I've been on a few hiring committees.  First suggestion:
if you ever have a chance to be on a hiring committee DO IT!  Volunteer
for it, beg for it, make time for it, offer to work unpaid overtime to do
those duties.  Being on the other side of the desk will give you insight
you can't get anywhere else.  You won't regret it.

Bill said it but I'll say it again: Write your resume to the position you
are applying for.  Leave out or only briefly mention non-relevant skills
and do mention it if you have relevant skills.  I've seen resumes that
implied they had the skills we were looking for but they don't come right
out and say it.  Once (and only once) we ended up hiring a guy like that
anyway and he turned out to be extremely qualified for the position.  If
there had been a single other applicant that was even slightly qualified
he would not have gotten the job.

Learn the answers to common interview questions and know the wrong answers
and why they are wrong.  It is amazing the number of people who, when
asked "Why do you want to work for us" will come right out and say they
are just looking for a temporary job until something better comes along.
Way the H-E-double hockey sticks wrong answer.

If you don't know what behavioral interviewing is you better find out.  It
is growing more popular by the day.  Have STAR answers for every common
interview question.  http://www.quintcareers.com/STAR_interviewing.html

David