[olug] hardware diagnostics with Linux

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Mon Jun 28 03:25:02 UTC 2004

The first steps would be to check for
1. Heat - CPU  & possibly Video or memory
2. boot of of a cd and run memtest86 incl on gentoo or
   http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
3. boot from a linux distro knoppix/gentoo live and
   cat /proc/pci or lspci -v and look for shared IRQ's
4. also mount the disk partitions and read/write to them and look for
   timeouts on hda...i.e. dmesg

If it was working correctly for a period of time, I'd say that it is
most likely cpu heat or memory issues..............