[olug] nfs user map issues

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Wed Jun 16 16:47:00 UTC 2004

Ryan O'Rourke wrote:

> I've got an NFS share mounted locally at /mnt/nfs/lnxfile
> The user that owns all the directories on the server is UID=100
> "sambaguest". On my local machine UID=100 is "nagios". When I list
> /mnt/nfs/lnxfile it says user nagios owns all the directories. I believe
> that's causing some issues with an application that is served from the
> NFS/SMB server as I'm unable to change some database files when mounted
> via NFS.
> The application works fine when mounted via Samba, but I'd like to avoid
> using Samba if at all possible.
>
> How can I make NFS not map the local user like that?

First step is to change the UID of "sambaguest" on the server to
something other than 100, and make sure the appropriate user on the
client has the same UID.

For one or two users, doing it manually isn't all that bad... but if you
need a number of machines to share the same user base you may want to
set up a directory service, such as NIS/NIS+ or LDAP.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us