[olug] quick pgp question

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Thu Jun 10 09:10:25 UTC 2004

At Wed, 09 Jun 04, Unidentified Flying Banana K.J. Kirwan, said:
> Thanks, Christopher, for your interesting and detailed reply.
>
> Would you consider volunteering for an OLUG presentation on OpenPGP?
> And/Or any related items like GnuPG, Mozilla/Enigmail, Linux/Win32
> setup-howto, key generation, etc.  Has there been one recently?
> Would anyone else on the list like to see this?

Hrm. . . I can try, but due to a very inconvenient work schedule, I
don't have much luck in making it out to OLUG meetings.  I'll see what I
can do, though.

> Is there an OLUG group willing to send and receieve test emails
> to check new installs or help get the bugs worked out?
>
> And on your advice to quit S/mime and use OpenPGP (GnuPG?),
> there's another reason I would like to do that.
> I'm tired of their $15/yr per email cert fee, and besides,
> I hate to give those Verisign weasels another nickel.

Oooh, that's a good point.  I had forgot about that.  Having to pay for
something like this seems wrong to start with, but having ot give it to
Verisign is, as you say, a terrible thing.

I'm all for alternatives that provide less money for them. ;-)

As for exactly how OpenPGP relates to GnuPG, OpenPGP is an IETF standard
for cryptographic e-mail signatures and encryption based very heavily on
the original PGP (de facto) standard.  GPG and current versions of PGP
both support this OpenPGP standard.

> Thanks again for a great reply.

Glad to help. ;-)