[olug] RE: New Suse 9.1 Pro install

gregory at r3g.net gregory at r3g.net
Wed Jul 28 21:04:10 UTC 2004

I am pretty impatient so I had just completed a re-install setting all the partitions to EXT3 - good thing I guessed right, eh? Anyway, the install completed and I did the patches  within the install. I then rebooted. Fine, so far. I customized the desktop a little and set fonts here and there. I then re-booted, again. This time the dang thing stalls, again. I thought it might have to do with the reiser fs, but maybe it is actually the disk. I do happen to have a spare sitting around. I have started these more recent installs with a 'safe install' is that messing me up?

This does not leave me with warm-fuzzies, but I will persist.

Needless to say, I was not able to try John H Larsen's suggestions yet -- other than EXT3 -- but I will try.

The hard disks I am using are Seagate 7200 ATA100 with 8mb cache. The one in now is 120 Gb, the spare I have is an 80 Gb. I suppose I will have to try a different manufacturer to be sure this issue is not related to the hard-disk.

Work, work, work... (scene from Blazing Saddles)

Gregory W Zill, MBA
Information Security | Solaris | Linux | Cisco | Network
402-556-1963