[olug] RE: New Suse 9.1 Pro Install

gregory at r3g.net gregory at r3g.net
Wed Jul 28 13:03:40 UTC 2004

folowed up by: <relayer at levania.org>:
>Who is the manufacturer and what model of mainboard is it?

mobo: elitegroup L7VMM3 w/ AMD K7 processor on-board
cpu: VIA KM266Pro Northbridge and VT8235 Southbridge chipsets
RAM: 512 mb
Video: 4XAGP
Audio: AC'97 Audio Codec with S/PDIF

The sound is there, I found out after cranking the volume to MAX but it is still faint -- that would indicate some fine tuning is needed -- I've googled and tried a few things to no avail. On the video, I temp tried a 64 mg nVidia card and it works great even before updating the nVidia drivers with YOU.

Additionally, now after the install and after my first online update, the reboot stalls at the checking of the Reiser filesystems for the second partition. The first partition is the swap, the second partition is /. I am not sure about Reiser for a regular techie home workstation -- should I re-install with ext3?

I have worked with RedHat since the old days. This is my second Suse, with the first being 9.0 on a Dell laptop. So I guess I am a rookie all over again.

On the table: 1) video with dots, 2) very low sound levels, 3) reiser vs. ext3 filesystem.

Any and all contributions greeted with open arms.

Gregory W Zill, MBA
Information Security | Solaris | Linux | Cisco | Network
402-556-1963