[olug] OT: network cam

Ryan O'Rourke ryano at ch-gifts.com
Fri Jul 9 16:23:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 10:50, Shaughn wrote:
> Well i have that model of camera..
>
> works over wifi, lan, or both. can be viewed jpeg, java, or activex..

Hmmm.. I don't like the sounds of ActiveX. Does the java viewer give you
all the same features as the ActiveX viewer?

> 640x480 @ < 10 fps is normal for me, the streaming frame-rate is
> dependent on how fast / strong the wifi connection is.

Ouch. 10fps is a little slow. Do you ever get any faster than that?

> It is platform independent because it just sits on an IP address, so if
> you have a wifi router and wish to access it from outside, you will have
> to setup a special port, or portforard to 80.

I guess what I meant by platform independent was that I'm looking for a
camera whose features will function just as well on Mozilla as they do
on IE.
Is this D-Link the best I can do?

> All in all, it's a handy camera, i use it for security reasons and just
> for fun.

I'm looking to use it for security and troubleshooting purposes.

Thanks.

-- Ryan