[olug] CertConf - GPG/PGP presentation

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Wed Jul 7 03:04:24 UTC 2004

Volunteers/Leaders needed:

wrt: http://lists.olug.org/pipermail/olug/2004-June/013821.html

Do you want to help spread the word of how to use PGP/GPG to the masses?
If so, please email me back or to the list and let everyone know -- we
need OLUG members to help present a 75min session on this at CertConf
(www.certconf.org) August 3-5.  Unsure of the presentation schedule yet,
but I would definately like to amass a collection of simple 1-2 page HTML
"howtos" (with screenshots) on how to setup PGP/GPG on "your favorite MUA
and platform".  We could work these into the presentation for some simple
demos... and while this presentation outline is still forming, some ideas:

title something like ~: "PGP/GPG - Why aren't YOU using it?"

- history/background of PGP/GPG
- overview Public key cryto, web of trust
- howto do common functions in windows and gnu/linux
  - sign/verify signatures, encrypt files, key signing, find pub keys...
- HOWTO short session demo on setting it up for email
 .. could take a vote, and follow one of the howtos to demo in
presentation

Chris Cashell has volunteered to help out, but we definately could use
some more howto guides at least, and even volunteers to help present and
organize some content slides.  If we could get the 'howto's on a wiki or
website, that would be nice and accessible.
I call dibs on:
- Sylpheed and Sylpheed Claws on GNU/Linux

I hear Adam Header could do GPG and Pine?

who else?

Thanks all - this also gets you free admission into certconf, but I need
to know who else is committed to this ASAP.

Brian

--
Brian Wiese          "What we do in life, echoes in eternity."
bwiese(at)cotse.com  gpg: 0x46D4332E    keyserver: pgp.mit.org