RE_ [olug] Second Monitor

G.M. mescie at cox.net
Thu Jan 29 21:36:34 UTC 2004

Daniel Linder wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
>>I got the desktop back on my TV.I needed this line in my XF86Config-4
>>file > Option "ConnectedMonitor" "crt,tv".
>

> Good!  What is the TVs resolution as far as X is concerned?
>

>>Now I just need to figure out
>>why my screen goes blank when I logout of my desktop,no command prompt
>>or anything.I've been looking at /var/log/XFree86.0.log for a clue as to
>>what might be happening but I don't see anything in it.
>

> Just FYI, I have seen that too.  I just chalked it up to the NVidia driver
> not resetting the text mode properly.  Since I am in XWindows 99% of the
> time (or reboot into single user mode for the other 1%), it didn't bother
> me too much.
>

>>Is that log file
>>just for starting my desktop or does it cover logging off from it
>>problems too?
>

> The log file will note problems that the X video driver and X subsystem
> encounterd.  If the driver doesn't attempt reset the video display, then
> there probably won't be any error messages in there to read. :(
>
> Dan

I have the resolutions for the TV set at 1024x768;800x600 (I changed the
  600x800.....damn brain fart .....:)There's no error in my
XFree86.0.log so the blank screen problem might be a driver issue like
you said,if I figure it out I'll let you know.And yes I wanted my TV to
appear just like my monitor mainly so I could play DVD movies on my
computer and watch them on my TV.Also gpm was what I wanted so I could
copy & paste in console.

				Thanks,Gary