RE_ [olug] Second Monitor

G.M. mescie at cox.net
Wed Jan 28 23:20:32 UTC 2004

Tim - DZ wrote:
> IF you get all the way to KDE, and you see the NVIDIA logo before X starts
> then you're using the nvidia driver, but if you have somehow enabled the
> TVOUT you should see something on the TV also...
>
> You can also look at /var/log/XFree86.0.log and see the driver load and
> probe all the available resolutions.  In the same file you should see it
> trying to locate a valid screen and resolution for your TV.
>
> Some XFree settings (I'll just assume you want twinview?!) include:
>
> In Module make sure you have "Load glx"
>
> In ServerLayout you only need 1 screen identified
> 	(you'd have two if you weren't using twinview)
>

> Under Device you'd have something like this:
>
>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>         Driver      "nvidia"
>         VendorName  "NVidia"
>         BoardName   "FX5700"
>         Option "NvAGP" "2"
>         #BusID "PCI:1:00:0"
>         #Option      "RenderAccel" "1"
> 	      # TV Out Setup
>             Option "TwinView" "1"
>             Option "IgnoreEDID"                 "yes"
>             Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync"     "30-50"
>             Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh"   "60"
>             Option "TwinViewOrientation"        "RightOf"
>             Option "MetaModes"
> "1024x768,1024x768;1024x768,800x600;1024x768,640x480;800x600,800x600;640x480
> ,640x480;320x200,NULL"
>             Option "ConnectedMonitor"           "TV, CRT"
>             Option "TVStandard"                 "NTSC-M"
>             Option "TVOutFormat"                "SVIDEO
>                 Option      "TVOverScan" "0.9"
>

> Notes:
> RenderAccel works well for me, but is BETA so it may crash X of whatever,
> it's unsupported.  You shouldn't need to note the PCI id when using
> Twinview, it's more for using the multiple x screens method...but if you do
> use it, it needs to reflect the PCI id for your system - obtainable via the
> lspci command (possibly use: lspci | grep nVidia).  Use the same NvAGP
> you're using now....if the driver loaded you're using the correct value for
> that.  Meta modes syntax is
> "resolution_on_monitor1,resolution_on_monitor2;next_pair" these are XF modes
> so they need to be standard resolutions or defined somewhere - you should
> have examples for like a sony viao alread in the config file.  You may want
> "Clone" for TwinViewOrientation....
>

> Those are the main "gotchas" I can explain the other options in more detail
> if you need more help, but the nvnews website and the README do a pretty
> good job on the rest of the options.
>

> -t

You are right I wanted twinview.I have Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO" in
my XF86Config-4 file so it is enabled but I must have had something
wrong because I still couldn't see anything on  the TV.In my
XF86Config-4 file under Module is "Load glx" and there's only 1 screen
in ServerLayout and here's my Device section after I ran yanc you may
see something I need that I don't.

Section "Device"
     Identifier "device1"
     VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
     BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
     Driver "nvidia"
     Option "DPMS" "suspend"
     Option "NoLogo" "1"
     Option "NvAGP" "3"
     Option "TwinView" "1"
     Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
     Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
     Option "DigitalVibrance" "0"
     Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-85"
     Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "50-160"
     Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
     Option "MetaModes" "1024x768 @600x800,1024x768 @600x800"
EndSection

I would imagine there's something in my XF86Config-4 file to keep from
having to pan across my desktop to see all of it but I don't know which
section to look under would you have any idea where it might be?

		Thanks,Gary