[olug] MythTV / Cox Digital Cable

Jon H. Larsen relayer at levania.org
Wed Jan 28 00:46:38 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 17:44, Brandon Lederer wrote:
> The hardest part is making a tv card work.  Once uve got that..... the rest
> is easy.
>
> It works... you just hafta tune your digital cable box w/ the digital cable
> remote thats all... Or buy an IR Emitter.
>
> If u want to make a remote work (say the one that came w/ your TV card)
> thats some work.  Or an IR remote.  They take a bit of work.
>
> but a plain jane myth box.... w/ just the plain jane stuff.... after u have
> your tv card working----- is cake.
>
> On Tuesday 27 January 2004 04:23 pm, Patrick Olsen wrote:
> > no but i was thinking about making a mythTV i guess if it dosent work
> > then i wont. dont have anytime really right now. Was it hard or easy
> > would you say to create it?
> >

> > From: Brandon Lederer <brandon at tolkien-movies.com>

> > >To: Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
> > >Subject: Re: [olug] MythTV / Cox Digital Cable
> > >Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:18:30 -0600
> > >
> > >I attest to it not working.   HAS ANYONE tried with success?  Or confirm
> > >lack
> > >of success?

> > >with

It is not uncommon for cable companies to deny knowledge of enabling the
serial port.

- Call the Omaha Cox Digital Cable Support Number
- Ask for the next tech support level
- Ask them to enable to serial port

If they say they can't, ask them why - Explain you are trying to get your
digital video recorder going.

If they absolutely refuse, you could ask them to buy a irblaster for you so
you can use their service that you pay to use each month.

In an extreme situation, you can say that the satellite services will do it.

On the MythTV mailing list, someone went through this ordeal as well - once
they found someone in Tech support who knew what they were talking about, it
wasn't a problem.  Even the Motorola tech he talked too said it would work.
I believe it was a Comcast cable outlet on the east coast.

Jon L.

--
Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer at levania dot org
Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org