[olug] hardware in Omaha..

Kenton Brede kbrede at nixnotes.org
Sat Jan 24 17:26:52 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 12:59:20AM -0600, Ken (emptymm at cox.net) wrote:
> So, as a linux user always in need of more systems to play with, where
> should one be doing their hardware shopping in Omaha?  As much fun as
> hardware RAID boxes with redundant power supplies would be, I can live
> without mission critical hardware and am thinking more along the lines
> of "home use" parts and PCs..  Older (cheaper) or refurbished  machines
> would be ideal.  Any good or bad experiences with local vendors anyone
> can share?

When I was in the market for "play machines" I went to surplus auctions
at the various educational systems in Lincoln and Omaha, also the State
surplus auction in Lincoln.  About 3 years ago you could get a complete
system (486) for $5.00 and around $10.00 to $20.00 for any pentium under
200 MHz.  I imagine the surplus hardware is a little better now but have
no idea if what they have meets your needs or the price of the items.

Check news paper classifieds and websites of the various institutions for
when auctions are held.
Kent