[olug] Why have you not volunteered to help at the Install fest yet?

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Fri Jan 16 06:11:17 UTC 2004

Why have you not volunteered to help at the Install fest yet?

So, why have you not volunteered to help at the Install fest yet? Do you
have a note form the school nurse letting you off the hook? If you have
not received the email from me , then we do not have your registration.
Head over to the RSVP form at http://www.olug.org/installfest/rsvp.php
now! =)

Here is the email I just sent to those that have volunteered to take the
afternoon of a cold January and help the newbies of the community install,
troubleshoot, and learn Linux.  It gives the details on the event, POC's
and such. Is there anything that we are forgetting? Let me know.

-------------------------------------
Adam, Pete, and Brian are making sure that everything is set up in the
classrooms at AIM and that WiFi is working. Thanks guys! Everyone should
purchase a beverage of their choice for them at the after fest! (hint
hint)

Feel free to bring what you would like for drinks & munchies to share. In
fact, check out the needs list I uploaded to the Install fest FAQ
[http://olug.org/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=7&categories=Install+Fest#16].

Adam, Pete, and Brian will be showing up to open up and finish setup
around 10:30 or so. Myself and others will be showing up around 11:00 to
11:30.  Some have already expressed issues with showing up late or leave
early, just remind me when you show up so we can make sure there is
adequate coverage. When you do show up, there will be a sign in sheet for
you - and do not forget to register for the door prizes. I will have the
sign in sheet and registration at the registration table in the hallway
near the main door.

The swap table will also be in the main hallway with the registration table.

Shutdown & cleanup will begin as the crowds start thinning (normally
around 5:30 pm or so) – the sooner we clean up the sooner we get to the
after fest gathering/fest review/planning meeting 'after fest'. The after
fest gathering/fest review/planning meeting will 'start' whenever we get
AIM cleaned & closed up (hopefully around 6:15 pm). As all ways, all are
welcome to join in the conversation, discussion, and planning for the
upcoming OLUG events. Oh, not to mention some food & drink! =)

We are looking to have:

- At least five (5) individuals in each room for helping with installs &
such; with more people volunteering this number will go up.

- We should have two or three 'greeters'; to welcome new people when they
come in, have them 'register' for the door prizes, and make sure they are
pared up with someone who can help them with their needs. Also to keep an
eye on everything, making sure nothing walks away or any other problems.
If you would be more comfortable and willing to help with the Install
fest in this specific capacity, please contact me off list.

I do not know about you, but I look forward to honing my skills with Linux
and helping the newbies of the community with their beginnings of learning
and using Linux. See you on Saturday!

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson