[olug] Newbie looking for GIMP help and Quicktime Help

Binary thehaas at binary.net
Thu Jan 8 15:16:13 UTC 2004

On Thursday January 8th 2004, Joe Gulizia wrote:

> I'm a newbie using the CD versions of Slackware Live,
> Knoppix or Cool-Linux.  How can I get graphics from my
> hard drive into GIMP for manipulation?

Make sure GIMP is installed, then type "gimp" in an xterm prompt.  File-> Open.  Or you can do
"gimp <location of image>"

> Is there a way to use Quicktime via Linux?  I need to
> view video streams that use Quicktime (.sdp format if
> theat helps)

MPlayer seems to read everything -- I've had better luck with it than Windows Media Player.  I don't know if it reads .sdp movies, but it does a great job with .mov and everything else I've thrown at it.  See if you can grab a package for your distro, however -- compiling it can be a pain.

see http://www.mplayerhq.hu  (seems to be down at the moment)

--
Mike Hostetler
thehaas at binary.net
http://users.binary.net/thehaas
Stop Spam: http://wecanstopspam.org/

--
No matter how long or hard you shop for an item, after you have bought it, it will be on sale somewhere cheaper.