[olug] 20 years of GNU and free software

gvanmill at unmc.edu gvanmill at unmc.edu
Tue Jan 6 15:07:59 UTC 2004

I think Freedom from tyranny is important, but without the struggle of the
tyrannical organizations, we wouldn't know the great value Freedom
entails.  Richard Stallman would be considered one of the Generals in the
war on Freedom, while we are the soldiers fighting for Freedom.  But
Freedom comes with a cost!  In this metaphor, struggling up hill
developing GOOD software, so that people will see the value.

--Glen

Brian Wiese <bwiese at cotse.com>
Sent by: olug-bounces at olug.org
01/05/2004 08:27 PM
Please respond to
Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>

olug <olug at olug.org>
cc
acm <acm at arioch.unomaha.edu>

Subject
[olug] 20 years of GNU and free software

The Free Software Community After 20 Years: With great but incomplete
success, what now?

http://www.newsforge.com/software/04/01/05/1146229.shtml
By Richard Stallman

"It was twenty years ago today that I quit my job at MIT to begin
developing a free software operating system, GNU. While we have never
released a complete GNU system suitable for production use, a variant of
the GNU system is now used by tens of millions of people who mostly are
not aware it is such...

...The most effective way to strengthen our community for the future is to
spread understanding of the value of freedom--to teach more people to
recognize the moral unacceptability of non-free software. People who value
freedom are, in the long term, its best and essential defense."

Thank you RMS -- for the Free Software movement... giving people
uncompromising freedom and empowerment now now well into the "information
age"!

--
Brian Wiese          "What we do in life, echoes in eternity."
bwiese(at)cotse.com  gpg: 0x2FD6AF16    keysvr: pgp.dtype.org