[olug] DVD playback not optimal

Terence Bradshaw angrypuppy at tconl.com
Sun Feb 29 06:00:25 UTC 2004

Eric Pierce wrote:

>I've no idea if this will solve interlacing problems, but the following line
>(hardware acceleration) fixed my sync problems.  It can't hurt (type as root):
>hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd
>

>--- John DiMartino <john_dimartino at mac.com> wrote:
>

>>Do you have the DVD player to have DMA mode enabled?  I don't remember
>>how to do it... but I'm sure you could google it pretty quickly.
>>
>>Later,
>>John

I appreciate the input... I did as suggested, but the issue remained.

I've done some searching, and it seems that it is due to some DVD's
being in an interlaced format.  The following URL I found helpful:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=25387&highlight=dvd+interlacing

Basically, the thread explains how to invoke both Xine and MPlayer with
a linear blend deinterlacing method.  As I'd mentioned, I had already
been using deinterlacing under Xine, but this isn't the method I had
chosen... I agree with the thread.  Linear blend is pretty nice.

My copy of The Matrix does not exhibit this, but "Cunning Stunts" does.
The Matrix seems not to be interlaced.

Terry