[olug] Wireless hotspots in Omaha

neal rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Sun Feb 22 19:48:20 UTC 2004

  Having operated 2.4 GHz radios all over the metro area I'd say that it is
possible to put in hot spots and have some fun with them, but in general the
2.4 GHz spectrum is a war zone, with several wireless ISPs and the county
all trying to cram as much as possible into on little 80MHz wide swath of
spectrum. UNI band isn't too polluted yet, but I'm sure it'll go the same
way long term as several WISPs are running 5800 and 5200 MHz Trango gear for
backhaul.

  Some nasty amateur ticket holder should rig up a couple of Soekris boxes
using Cisco Aironet (variable output) wireless cards and play with automatic
power control through ATV amplifiers ...