[olug] various radio projects

Charles Bird thebirdman at operamail.com
Fri Feb 27 22:21:23 UTC 2004

Hi there I'm Charles Bird and I saw your post on OLUG. I
just moved to town from Clinton, IA. I am looking for a
job so that I can get lots of Certs, HAM being one of
them.
I am very interested in Microwave Data. I own a small
airplane which seats one person, I have always wanted to
experiment with a Laptop with some kind of small microwave
ant., the aiming at a base station would be tough but I
thought that a lower freq. emitter on both aircraft and
Base station would enable something like an "auto-Yaggi"
to point both ant. to each other. It would be some
robotics involved which I dont know much about.
The purpose of this would be to send realtime NOAA weather
Maps to a pilot while within 100 Mi from the Base
Satation, which if the base station was right on top of a
grain elevater with a 360 degree swing then one could get
a signal(in theory) from 100 Mi or more at 10,000ft agl.
I mean, when I lived in ame, IA I took a plane to 14,500ft
to see what it looked like at night..It was so cool, i
could see Omaha, and quad citys, cedar Rapids from above
the ames airport.
Another thing I was thinking was the same 360 degree dome
with microwave to spin very fast and send packets...kinda
like a hub/switch because mulitple computers could have
ant. pointing at the dome. The dome could have a
"resolver" which is a motoer like thing that detect
position of whatever is connected to it, one could assing
an ip to what ever position it is at.
   Thanks for letting me rant a bit, If you want to
experiment with Line of Site computer stuff with my plane
then let me know, I could pitch in on some equipment, keep
it light, and I'll be ready in April or May.