[olug] Server Farms

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Wed Feb 25 20:00:03 UTC 2004

It would be humorous if this was the exception to the rule with management.

It's typical that a management group will request a setup and give out a
figure without any requirements.

I'd give them back an estimate including hardware/network/facilities/labor
that fills their budget number. With the caveat that things will change as
requirements change.

i.e.
Quote two racks of Dual-Opteron Servers with 4gig of ram and Fibre channel
cards and Gigabit ethernet, and redundant OS disks. Plus a SAN so that the
disk could be managed separately from the servers, making the servers
disposable(figuratively)

The machines will be equally capable of file serving/database/application
whether it's Linux/BSD/Win

(If OS390 is the requirement, then run in in a virtual machine under Linux)