[olug] newbie question...

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Wed Feb 25 13:14:23 UTC 2004

On Feb 23, 2004, at 9:37 AM, Collard, John wrote:
> Also, the App killer keeping my windows system running is Quicken.  I
> installed GNU Cash this weekend.  Any opinions on Cash/other
> alternatives?

Indeed. Quicken was one of my major problems when my PCs died. Online
banking / bill pay was a linchpin for me. I'm lazy and I've had
"one-click" checking-integrated bill pay since '97 so I'd have a hard
time adjusting to a less-automated lifestyle.

I played around with GNU Cash on my Mac before finally breaking down
and buying Quicken. All the open source / low cost options that I
looked at would have required me to download from my bank and import
files, do bill pay "manually" from a web site, and some of them were
unable to read my 7 years of Quicken history. Yes, I am *that* lazy
that I just want to launch one application and do all those things from
inside there with as few key strokes as possible. It's also be a bummer
to lose 7 years of history if I could avoid it.

(Quicken is $80 and I pay $10/month banking/bill pay. Much cheaper than
late payment and overdraft charges. -grin-)

On Feb 23, 2004, at 11:24 AM, Jay Swackhamer wrote:
> for cash management you could try
> http://www.moneydance.com/  (personal accounting)

?? Integrated bill pay? Ouch. Wish I would have seen that before I
bought Quicken again...

$0.02,