[olug] Home network, firewall, vpn design..

Ken emptymm at cox.net
Wed Feb 18 01:36:48 UTC 2004

Ken wrote:
[snip]

> Cable Modem / Internet (Cox)
> OpenBSD (P100,32MB) - pf, nat/dhcp
> Linksys Switch 8 port -----------------
>         |                             |
>         |                Compaq Switch/Router 4port + 802.11b
>         |                             (dhcp disabled)
>         |                             |
>         |-- Linux (P3,750MHz,192MB)   |-- Laptop (WinXP, wifi)
>         |       * VPN, FreeS/WAN?     |-- iPAQ PocketPC (wifi)
>         |       * Samba print & file
>         |       * Internal DNS
>         |       * Log collection (from firewall)
>         |       * IDS?
>         |--Linux Desktop
>         |--Linux / WinXP Pro Desktop
>         |--Linux / WinXP Pro Desktop

First off, thanks for all the great responses.  I appreciate the
insights..  Unfortunately I'd rather make the mortgage payment than pick
up the Cisco solutions that were mentioned :)

My primary objective with the OpenBSD firewall was to be "cheap &
secure" and make use of the P100.  Obviously the P100 would make a
pretty crappy VPN server so I had wanted to use the resources on the
internal Linux server for that without directly exposing it to the
internet.

After reading Phil's feedback about NAT though it does seem like this
would be a pain and would seem to require a NAT patch for both the
FreeSwan server and the client (uhg)..

So, in light of that I have one other idea..  I've been doing some
reading on using OpenBSD/pf as a Transparent Packet Filter with no NAT
or IP address: http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200207/transpfobsd.html

Using this method it would appear that I could run the VPN on the Linux
server using the configuration below and still enjoy the increased
security of not directly exposing my Linux server to the internet (aside
from the VPN service) or the pain of dealing with NAT VPN pass through:

Cable Modem / Internet (Cox)

-------------------
OpenBSD (P100,32MB) - 2 NICs - pf
   *Transparent filter, no ip address
-------------------

--------------------
        External NIC - VPN (FreeS/WAN)

  Linux (P3,750MHz,192MB) - 2 NICs

        Internal NIC - * NAT/dhcp
--------------------  * Samba print & file
         |             * Internal DNS
         |             * Log collection (from firewall)
         |             * IDS?

Linksys Switch 8 port -------------------
         |                               |
         |                Compaq Switch/Router 4port + 802.11b
         |                             (dhcp disabled)
         |-Linux Desktop                |
         |-Linux / WinXP Pro Desktop    |-- Laptop (WinXP, wifi)
         |-Linux / WinXP Pro Desktop    |-- iPAQ PocketPC (wifi)

So, trying again, does anyone have any thoughts on this?  I've never
tried running a transparent packet filter but have to admit it seem
rather enticing (and cool).  I'd be especially curious to know if anyone
could still see a potential conflict with the VPN..

Thanks again,
Ken