[olug] Home network, firewall, vpn design..

Ken emptymm at cox.net
Tue Feb 17 06:18:25 UTC 2004

This isn't a purely linux question but I'm hoping it involves enough to
be relevant.  I'm working on reconfiguring my home network to take
better advantage of all the CAT5 I ran through my house last year and
have the hardware you see in the diagram below to work with.

The only externally available service I'd like to have is a VPN server
that would allow me to connect into the network while roaming from a Win
or Linux platform and also possibly allow strong (key based) ssh2
connections to the firewall box for remote maintenance.  Given the
desire for cross-platform compatibility I was thinking of running
FreeS/WAN on an internal Linux server.  All incoming traffic would be
filtered, scrubbed and routed to the server using pf & nat though the
BSD box.

So, any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Specifically:
* Does anyone have experience in setting up a working pf/FreeSwan combo
like this?
* Any recommendations on the best distro for running/administering Samba
and FreeSwan? (it's going to be headless)
* Any suggestions on a better way to setup the network?

Thanks,
Ken

Cable Modem / Internet (Cox)

OpenBSD (P100,32MB) - pf, nat/dhcp

Linksys Switch 8 port -----------------
         |                             |
         |                Compaq Switch/Router 4port + 802.11b
         |                             (dhcp disabled)
         |-- Linux (P3,750MHz,192MB)   |-- Laptop (WinXP, wifi)
         |       * VPN, FreeS/WAN?     |-- iPAQ PocketPC (wifi)
         |       * Samba print & file
         |       * Internal DNS
         |       * Log collection (from firewall)
         |       * IDS?