[olug] Time

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Mon Feb 16 18:57:02 UTC 2004

PS said:
> What we are trying to do is use ntpd to actually dial out to a time
> server using the ntpd modem clock driver.  This part we have working,
> what we can't seem to get is to have ntpd update the local clock based
> on the time it receives from the server it dialed into.  The ntpd modem
> clock driver dials into a time server in Colorado.
> We have been at this for several weeks and we might have to throw in the
> towel and have by some software and have a M$ box  do this. Urgh!
> Thanks for your time,
> (no pun intended... ;) )

If the NTPd is getting the time from the remote site and setting the Linux
software clock, but the *hardware* clock is not getting updated, then the
"hwclock" command is your friend (Fedora has it in the
"util-linux-2.11y-29" package).  A "hwclock --systohc" will set the
hardware clock to the current system (software) clock.

If NTPd is unable to set the local software clock either, it could be that
the local clock is too far off from the NTP time to let NTPd adjust the
time slowly.  Use "ntpdate -s -b -p 8 clock.in.colorado.com" to do the big
jump in time, then let ntp set the time to the split-second.  Again, in my
RH-fedora Core1 system, the /etc/init.d/ntpd script uses the servers
listed in /etc/ntp/step-tickers for the ntpdate command, and then uses the
servers listed in /etc/ntp.conf to do the high-resolution setting.

Dan

--
Daniel Linder