[olug] Time

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Sun Feb 15 22:02:42 UTC 2004

Brandon Lederer wrote:

>My MythTV Box has	 some clock drift.  Pretty important that the clock is
>correct.  How easy is it to set up NTPClient?  Anyone know of a howto?

I set up ntpd on my NetBSD box several months ago, and it was almost
dead simple.  Enabled it in one of the boot config files, set my ntp
servers in /etc/ntp.conf, started the service as root, and voila.  I
used three geographically distributed servers.  Google for "public ntp
servers" you can use.

One thing I learned is that you only use unrestricted 2nd (not 1st) tier
ntp servers, and it's courteous to inform the owner of the ntp servers
you use that you are going to be using them.  OK that's more than one thing.

Tim