[olug] knoppix xfree86 errors - _LoaderFileToMem() read() failed

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Tue Feb 10 14:38:02 UTC 2004

Well, I just used the exact same Knoppix 3.3 cd again last night to do the
install once again the exact same way (luckily theres not many config
options in the knx-hdinstall script)... and X is working fine now!  I
think the problem may just have been some particular I/O errors during the
first install, I only noticed 1 I believe on this latest attempt.

I had a lot of trouble installing from the SuSE 9 cd's from the
installfest as well, many of the rpm packages just failed to extract
properly - so I gave up on it. =(  Perhaps it's just my cdrom drive, but I
remember having similiar problems before with SuSE cd's in the past I
believe.  I prolly give it another try, then look for better media copies.

So what kind of errors where you getting K.J.?  Looking at the
/var/log/XFree86.log.0 should usually provide some guiding info, look for
"(EE)" lines.  You would need an desktop manager and window manager.

peace
Brian

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 14:00:32 -0600
"K.J. Kirwan" <kjk_elec at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

|I would like to second this.
|
|I did four installs (Mandrake 9.2) recently on four different machines
|(all been previously running Mandrake 9.1 with no problems), and I
|got three X-no-starts.  Errors all different, and I'm not an "X-pert",
|so I'm not really sure what the displayed errors are telling me.
|I was wondering if there are any X troubleshooting FAQs available?
|Maybe something like:
|First see if "A" is working by doing "1",
|Then check if "B" is working by doing "2", etc.
|
|If anyone has any ideas on this I think Brian and I would appreciate it.
|
|Thanks!
|
|Kim

|--
|K.J. Kirwan
|kjk_elec at ix.netcom.com
|

|Brian Wiese wrote:
|> I just reinstalled knoppix 3.3 on my dell inspiron 8200, and X wouldn't
|> start!  Never experienced this before with several other versions of
|> knoppix, perhaps it was a bad install?  I actually went and downgraded
|to> xfree86-common/testing and still get the same error.  Any ideas?
|>
|> [Brian's log of X errors deleted, see other thread]

|OLUG mailing list
|OLUG at olug.org

Brian Wiese          "What we do in life, echoes in eternity."
bwiese(at)cotse.com  gpg: 0x2FD6AF16    keyserver: pgp.dtype.org
phone: 402.932.5490  aim: unolinuxguru  www.unomaha.edu/~bwiese