[olug] OT: Internet radio

Craig Wolf CJWolf at mpsomaha.org
Fri Feb 6 19:12:06 UTC 2004

Bandwidth IS the issue for them...

Craig Wolf wrote:
> I have 2 personal favs:
> Pirate Radio: http://www.kqlz.org/tunein.html
>
> This one went Windows only in July but are still trying to come up with a way to do streaming mp3's
> Wolffm: http://www.wolffm.com/
> Would love if anyone had ideas on how they could do it on the cheap...

[snip]
How about a SHOUTcast server?  It cheap/free and will stream mp3's
nicely.  Unfortunately I believe the traditional broadcast server needs
to run on a Win platform.. BUT.. from looking at the website there seems
to be a beta DSP plugin that allows you have the source server on a
Linux box and then feed it into a SHOUTcast DNAS server which is
supported on Linux.
http://www.shoutcast.com/download/broadcast.phtml

Of course bandwidth is a different story..
-Ken