[olug] Border management / server farms

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Wed Feb 4 16:39:14 UTC 2004

(disclaimer, I havent worked with load-balancing/cluster software on linux
up to this point, but have on other platforms)

There is some information that you might find usefull at
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/
http://lcic.org/load_balancing.html

What I would setup would be a virtual IP address for each web/database
server, that could be moved to an active server if the primary is down.
So that your users/applications dont have to be tied to a physical server,
and the IP could be moved for maintenance.

A simple solution would be to have the name server do a round-robin
assignment of names so that the IP addresses of active servers get cycled
through, and have the name server actively check the servers and re-move
the non-responding servers from the rotation.