[olug] Border management / server farms

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Wed Feb 4 16:09:03 UTC 2004

Howdy --

Here's a pie in the sky question for you...

Anyone have any experience high availability web/database farms?

I want to have X web servers and Y databases. I need some magical
device that can know when server(s) in the farm(s) are offline, happily
continuing to route requests to the other server(s) that are online.

Preferrably I'd use some slice of Linux magic. Alternately, I could
spend $10K or whatever on some device from Cisco. This is all
hypothetical at this point, looking at options.

I'm just looking for ballpark info (product names) from anyone w/ any
experience.

(Yes, I know I could load multiple DNS entries, but I don't want to
have to wait for DNS timeout(s) if server(s) are offline.)

Thanks,