[olug] Comments on an "eMachine" laptop...

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Feb 3 18:38:02 UTC 2004

Guys,

  I am looking and purchasing a laptop to use for both work and as my home
workstation replacement (old system is a dual Celeron 466).  Since the
laptop will be running Linux primarialy, I would like to know if anyone
has had good or bad experiences with their new laptop M6807 system:

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M6807

My big question regards the video adapter:
"ATI® RADEON™ 9600 Discrete Graphics with built in 64MB Video RAM"
Has anyone played with this in a laptop?  My past laptops with nVidia
chipsets were great in that the LCD could be one monitor, and the VGA out
could be another desktop for added realestate.  Will this ATI Radeon
support that?  Can't find that info on ATI's site.  This will probably be
a deal breaker on this laptop if it doesn't do dual-head output. :(

About the only thing I would add to this system is an additional 512MB
RAM, but I could easily use the base 512MB for quite a while.

Dan