[olug] Debian

CM Miller cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 04:45:40 UTC 2004

--- VHP3 <vhpascale3 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>   What do you guys recommend?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John
>
> If you've got your heart set on a Debian-esqe
> distro,
> I highly recommend the latest Knoppix distro (they
> come out pretty frequently).  It's a relatively easy
> install, with the biggest possible hiccup being the
> partitionig, and has most of Debian's features
> (including the ever-wonderful apt-get).  It also has
> bunch of compilers ready to go for programming, gcc
> being one of them.
>
> Vince

I second what Vince has said above.

Knoppix 3.3 is a very nice way to go, very smooth
install and your up and running in no time flat.

Use apt-get for package manager is very nice to with
KDE for the desktop manager.

My only complaint is that it installs so many packages
that I don't use, so I've spent some quality time
removing them.

Great Knoppix support forum can be found here

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/

Or try Slackware, another Linux distro that I'm really
getting attached to...here are some excellent
step-by-step directions for an install...

http://www.olug.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=179

=====
I want everyone to  know I am pro-family and anti-drug
-Patrick Bateman, American Psycho