[olug] USB Printers and Ethernet Connections

Ben Dinger ben at mac-geek.com
Mon Dec 27 17:43:24 UTC 2004

You'll need either a print server device, or some way to directly attach the printer to said linux box.  I have used the Linksys parallel print servers, and been pretty happy.  HP JetDirect externals are way nice, but also way pricey.

For printing checks here at work, we use one of our collection of HP LaserJet 4 Pluses.  These things are total tanks, and you can get ones with JetDirect internal cards for a song on eBay (just got one with a sub 5,000pg count for $80 last week).  The toner can be a little pricey, but lasts forever.