[olug] Apache Doesn't know PHP type

Sean Edwards cybersean3000 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 21 20:05:26 UTC 2004

Before you make any changes, you may want to check
your log files to see what is actually happening, and
then react accordingly.  Random changes could actually
do more to further break your problem than to fix it.
You can get the current location of your apache log
files from your current httpd.conf.

I run Debian, so I maintain my modules with the
apache-modconf utility.

You may also want to check your ServerRoot value, here
is mine:
ServerRoot /etc/apache

I have some executables set in DirectoryIndex:
<IfModule mod_dir.c>
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm
index.shtml index.cgi
</IfModule>

But Apache/PHP works fine without adding MIME Types.
They are actually commented out in my httpd.conf and
php works fine:

    # For example, the PHP 3.x module (not part of the
Apache
    # distribution - see http://www.php.net) will
typically use:
    #
    #AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php3
    #AddType application/x-httpd-php3-source .phps
    #
    # And for PHP 4.x, use:
    #
    #AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
    #AddType application/x-httpd-php-source .phps

-=Sean Edwards=-