[olug] Internet Access

Nathan D.Rotschafer nrotschafer at geniussystems.net
Tue Dec 14 13:00:01 UTC 2004

Excellent word usage so late at night!  But seriously, for me the
initial benefit was simple.  Upload bandwidth for my ip phone at home.
Then I figured out I could host stuff from my house on standard ports
with that upload speed and that made it so much the better.  The I
figured out they didn't care...bonus #3.  The cost factor never really
played into it for me but was added bonus #4.  As you move further west
it seems the slower your cox speeds go (more and more people in
suburbia are mindlessly hooking their windows computers up to the
internet because it is the "next great thing" and their kids want it).
I challenge someone around here to beat the speed of my qwest cable
modem (downloads a 1MB/sec and yes that is megabytes NOT megabits).
Even downloads over 1.5Mbits/sec when I had my apartment with cox
seemed rare.  And bonus #5 that you don't realize till you have
it...stability.  I used to laugh at people with cox service how it
would go down in a storm...meanwhile I'm sitting in my apartment with
UPSes and a stable connection to the internet that never and I mean
NEVER dropped in 9 months and satellite TV that was only out 1 time
(forget that cable smoke and mirrors about how it always goes out)

Nathan D. Rotschafer
Home: (402) 778-NATE
Cell: (402) 216-9270
email: nrotschafer at geniussystems.net