[olug] Linux-Friendly MP3 Players? (iRock, etc.)

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Sun Dec 5 08:32:24 UTC 2004

On Dec 4, 2004, at 8:53 PM, Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:

> Mostly I listen to KFAB these days.  Any music station I find seems
> sooooo repetitive.  At least talk radio is always something different.

Since I can't listen to streaming radio at work I use streamripper to
grab a bunch of 64kps (128 uses too much room and the quality is
negligible for background music) streams (radioio and radioparadise
usually) and put them on cd. You get more than a full work days worth
on a cd. I burn a couple a week, so I always have a variety available.
Add that to a stack of mp3 cds and you're good to go. The only thing I
miss is since I don't have my own office anymore (well, I shared with
one guy) I can't crank it on the speakers. I do have a window now
though, so I suppose I can live with headphones.

The car has an empeg hd player, I have a radio tuner module, but I
never use it. They killed the almost good classic rock station and the
almost good (had been going downhill) 'adult alternative' station so
there's no need to ever listen to radio anymore.

-- Daniel