[olug] Re: Expect script help...

David Walker olug at grax.com
Tue Aug 31 23:17:35 UTC 2004

Not to start a language war. I do understand each language has strengths and
weaknesses and each programmer has preferences on top of that.

I find TCL easier to write readable code and extremely extensible.  I started
using it for programming web pages because of OpenACS
( http://openacs.org/ ).

More recently I have been using it in places where I used to use a Bash script
for system administration type jobs.  It compiles my web server logs and then
runs them through webalizer to generate log reports, for instance.

My alarm system, rather than paying for a monitoring service, uses a couple of
TCL scripts to page me in case of unauthorized entry.

My SMTP server is also TCL.  Currently it rejects obviously fraudulent
messages and then processes the rest through SpamAssassin (yes, I know
SpamAssassin is Perl).  I am adding a system to it to process mail using
ClamAV, renattach, and possibly other mail processors using a database-backed
preference system such that each user could select via web interface how they
want their mail processed.

As I see it, the main weakness in TCL compared to Perl is the lack of
availability of add-in modules like on CPAN.org.