[olug] Cox High Speed Internet

Mike Peterson mpeterson at charles.omhcoxmail.com
Tue Aug 24 16:28:44 UTC 2004

I started out in 1985 with DOS 2.1 on an 8086 with 5 1/4 diskettes and no
HD.
I did have CGA instead of Monochrome for display.
640K RAM seemed like a lot then.
I stared out with 256K RAM and upgraded it in 1986.
I got a 30 MB hard drive in 1987.
I moved to my first 80386 in 1992.
I ran Coherent UNIX on it before LINUX was a common name and they went out
of business.

I remember connecting with Win 3.1 and SLIP to get on the Internet in 1996.
I started using the Internet in 1995 with a CUI.
Then later in the year I got GUI access.

At work we used 1200 BAUD modems until 2000 for mission critical application
access.
We did have a 2400 BAUD for dial in support using ProComm or Telix or
XTalk..

Now I have high speed and dial-up access to the Internet at home and work.
We have Cox at Work and I have wireless at home.
I do run 38400 BAUD for dial in support now also with PPP.