[olug] Am I Old( was Cox High Speed)

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Tue Aug 24 07:17:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, August 23, 2004 1:00 pm, Rod Hurley said:

My first computer was the TI-99/4A.  Best gaming computer of the time ;).
I had the tape deck and did a lot of Basic programming on that machine.
My brother's actually had the hard drive for it (for which the encasing
was larger than most full computers today).  It wasn't too long before I
moved up to the original 8088.  We drooled when the new HD came out for
it, with a full 10 MB.  Swore it would be impossible to ever fill that
baby up (after all, Lotus Notes came on a single floppy 360K floppy, with
enough room for all of our data files).  I skipped the PC JR... didn't
want anything to do with the "chicklet" keyboard... but I've owned every
model of PC from that point on.

I also had friends with TRS-80, Vic 20, Commodore 64, Timex Sinclair and
Apple II computers, and I got a chance to actually write programs on all
of them but the Sinclaire.  (Mostly just copying code out of a magazine...
usually a game written in Basic, but this still acquainted me with the
architectures of quite a few of the early computer systems.)  Hmmm... I
guess I can understand why my high school refused to let me take the
computer class.

--
William E. Kempf
wekempf at cox.net