[olug] Am I Old (was Cox High Speed)

Bill Brush bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Aug 23 14:37:12 UTC 2004

Let's see, I guess it was about 20 years ago I had my first encounter with
a computer when the company my parents worked for expanded to start selling
computers.  It was IBM PC (1 floppy, green monochrome monitor).  Then they
got in a PCjr which was cool for color and a joystick.  When the XT came
out we thought that was damn cool.  The IBM portable came along with nifty
internal monitor but no hard drive, but it was still cool.  When my Mom
quit that company she bought a Panasonic Sr. Partner, which I expect most
of you have never heard of.  It was a portable (luggable) form-factor like
the orginal Compaq, or IBM portable, but it had a 20 MB internal HD, and a
built-in thermal printer.  Later I had run-ins with the IBM AT (screaming
fast), and from then on I think I hit just about every major PC interation
they had.  Not much experience with Apple hardware or UNIX, (until Linux
came along with my first encounter about 1995).

Bill