[olug] Finally, geek for a living

Mike Hostetler hostetlerm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 16:17:21 UTC 2004

So many comments on this thread, and I can't address all that I want to.

Yes, experience is the key, but a degree is also useful.  A degree
shows can you put up with the bulls*%t.

I graduated college in '98 and took a job at a place that seemed fun,
but the pay wasn't all that great.  It was a support and on-site
training job.  I saw three different continents and more states than I
can ever remember and had a lot of fun.  I then left after two years
for a dot-bomb, and came back after 10 months for more pay and less
travel.  And the place is still great and I love who I work with.

I think the people you work with are the key -- if you enjoy working
with them, a somewhat lower pay doesn't matter.  And do what you love
-- if you don't like techy stuff, get out of it.
--
Mike Hostetler
thehaas at binary.net
http://www.binary.net/thehaas