[olug] Machine Locking up, update

Miller, Scott L (Omaha Networks) scott.l.miller at hp.com
Mon Aug 16 16:18:57 UTC 2004

Jon,

I did send a second update with this information:

> Better link to the problem description, and includes links to patches
> that seem to fix things:
> http://atlas.et.tudelft.nl/verwei90/nforce2/index.html

Which is exactly what I was experiencing (at least I believe this to be
true, and my gut tells me so :-)

but, so far, all I've had time to accomplish is to use the
"noapic nolapic acpi=no" (I'm using them all at the moment) boot options
to get the machine stable, and to re-install the mandrake 9.1.

I'm still questioning what my next step will be.  I wanted to migrate
to the new SUSE install, so, even though my wife and I are _using_ the
Mandrake install, I'm having difficulty motivating myself to get to
where I can recompile that kernel :-)

And then, I'm also fighting lots of other things (2 kids, wife, new heavy
duty bread rack, new (for me, otherwise used) wright line computer work
bench, basement to clean up from putting that stuff together, and re-
arranging the basement, getting ready to run a Dart league this fall
(receiving applications), eating, sleeping, etc) to find time to try
to work on getting the SUSE install to the point where I can substitute
it more or less painlessly for the Mandrake install...

I really need to find a few geek high school students that live near me
to, uh, mentor...  Then maybe I'd eventually get that mythTV box built
I've only thought about so far.  :-)

-Scott